Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Technology Problems!

So our laptop screen decided to fade out...I tried rebooting and adjusting the brightness to no avail. So I am up at school in B's office trying to do a week's worth of correspondence. Instead of all that work, I decided to post!!!!

Someone asked about the things I was teaching so here's a little preview. Last week's teachings...each day took up about 10 pages typed. It's amazing how much information you can cover when you are basically lecturing for 2 hours at a time.

With marriage I started off putting forth the idea that our marriages, no matter where we come from, should all start looking similar because we all have the same goal. That our marriages should reflect a picture of spiritual truths. And as long as our marriages are not a good picture of the love and sacrifice they are intended to be...we are a poor testimony to that love displayed in the sacrifice of Jesus. I really feel like that should be our goal...that the mystery that Paul teaches should be realized in the relationship we have withour spouses. Anything less than that is less than the intended glory we should be walking in.

Then I shared the proverb about iron sharpening iron. I am totally convinced that I have been given the husband I have to spur me on the becoming a better me. And, if I can speak for him, I think I do the same for him. None of us stay the same in relationship and close relationships should be those that cause us to grow and change.

When I was thinking about who I might be without B...the picture that comes to mind is a funny, but sad one. I am sure I would be the absent-minded professor with chaos reigning in my house...old salami, a piece of moldy cheese and a bottle of wine in the fridge...and my clothes would be rumpled and mismatched...and I would never be anywhere on time!!!

The essence of who I am is still the same. But I am less absorbed with myself and my thoughts than I would be alone. I have also learned things from living with B...like not everyone can think in chaos...I think learning that people have different needs has helped me be less self-centred regarding how I live and the decisions I make.

The other important thing about marriage is that I am who I am because of what God asks me to be...not because of who I would be naturally, and not because of who B is. If we can get ahold of that I think it takes the pressure off each other because we are then not looking to our partner to be all that we need or expect.

And in the end I encouraged each couple to have another couple, who loves and undrstands them, to meet with to encourage and support each other. Essentially, I suppose I was trying to communicate that relationships were and are God's idea and creation, so we need to find his plan for them.

Well, B is back and needs his office...important meetings and all. I can't promise when I'll be posting again...hopefully sooner rather than later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home