Thursday, January 18, 2007

Foreigners and Doctors

What do foreigners and doctors have in common?

They both used to scare Parmesh. On Sunday he was telling us his story. And he finished telling us that he used to be so afraid of doctors that he wouldn't ever speak to them...then he sheepishly admitted that he used to feel the same way about foreigners!!!

The providential thing was we spent the day together on Saturday. We went with another family to go pinecone picking. Parmesh and five other young men joined us for a picnic and to gather pinecones and wood for heating. It was a chilly day, but fun to be out in the fresh air in the hills among the trees.

On the way the motorcycle two of the boys were on got a flat tire. They had to push it back...about 10 km. So we decided we should all just hop out at our house and rustle up some dinner. The ladies and I whipped up a simple meal and we all ate together, watched the new version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and played cards. But I never realized that most of the boys had never visited a foreigners home...and never eaten a meal there.

Now, some people could not imagine the significance of sharing a meal with a foreigner...or eating a meal that a foreigner made. It wasn't until December that I became aware of my slot on the totem pole in this regard.

Just as school was ending we planned a dinner. We planned the meal so that it was proper ...no meat or eggs...that way all the neighbours would feel comfortable to come. Then we bought gifts for all the children, decorated and thought we had done all we could to welcome everyone. Imagine my disappointment when one older woman didn't come. I asked her son-in-law if she ws going to come. His answer was: She's a very traditional woman. HUH!

Later, I realized that it was likely that she thought it would be polluting to eat with us, particularly the food that I had prepared off plates that might have been defiled. My race and place was an unchangeable barrier to relationship with her.

Back to Parmesh...coming from a wealthy and respected family it's likely that he was taught this kind of attitude. And here he was sitting with us, eating with us and fellowshipping with us...little miracles!

4 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so fascinating. It's almost a reverse racism. I remember when we first moved to Florida, and we went into a restaurant and we were the only caucasians in the place. No one would serve us! I walked up to the counter (it was a fast food place) and just stood there while everyone ignored me. It was my first experience with that - but a very powerful and effective one. I think it's neat when we get to stan (or walk) in someone else's shoes...if only for a few minutes!

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picking up wood an pinecones in the hills kinda reminded me of The Sound of Music. Enjoy your time there. Enjoy small miracles!
Kathleen

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Erin Rebecca said...

very interesting (the story and the little boys sweater)

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Carla said...

That's very interesting. We are in the process of reading Amy Carmichael's biography and it speaks of this. I'm going to share your story with the girls because I was trying to explain to them that that wasn't just "then", it still exists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home