Monday, February 05, 2007

To disagree or not to disagree, that is the question?

I just want to say that I am very appreciative for the comments on my previous posts...even Paula who tells me that I am a bit confusing.

I have learned to welcome points of disagreement. It causes me to sit back and reconsider my statements, which can come across as rather absolute. For me growth comes through discussion and disagreement, to sit and have an exchange with another human being, who has thought through some of the same issues can be very enriching.

Two examples come to mind...one I did not appreciate...and another I did. The first was when I was disagreeing with a friend on a point of doctrine...I thought that I had made an acceptable point, but my friend disagreed and simply said, "You are using unscriptural language." That was the only answer to me...for my friend that closed the discussion, if my language wasn't scriptural than ther was no need for answer...I had the sudden realization that my position was not welcome...so I excused myself for a cup of tea and joined the children in the other room.

The other example was during a study I was hosting in my house. We were looking at Lot's daughters and discussing both the circumstances and their response to finding themselves without husbands, with no hope of husbands. A friend simply said, " I think that they knew what they wanted and were showing initiative." A startling statement...it sent us all back through the story and the previous chapters to find out what commands had been given and what might have affirmed and opposed their choice. In case you aren't sure what choice I am referring to, it was the choice to get their father, Lot, drunk and sleep with him in order to have a baby. In the end, we came to the conclusion that the daughters did not trust that God would give them what they needed and so they tried to satisfy their legitimate desires in an illegitimate manner.

Healthy disagreement helps us to re-examine what we have held as true. And if what we hold as true is truth, than it will always be confirmed in the light of a new perspective and new evidence.

One of the things I have missed in increasing measure is having people, who disagree with me, take the time to dicuss our differences of perspective. It is important to be able to revisit ideas and positions that I formed long ago and see if they hold true in light of life and maturity. More than anything I want to have my world view formed by the teachings of the Bible... knowing that I still have room to grow in my knowledge of the bible, I want to be taught and where I am in opposition to the scriptures then I know I am wrong and need to change my mind. But that can only happen when my mind comes up against an opposing mind...

So please tell me I am mistaken, confusing, offer correction, direction...

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. - Proverbs 27:17

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Erin Rebecca said...

must be a good post, no one is commenting:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home