Sunday, February 11, 2007

Parents as Slaves?

So I was having this discussion with another parent today. As sometimes happens this particular parent was feeling discouraged with their children's attitude...and the statement that struck me was, '...parents are just slaves to their children.'

The more I ponder this statement the more I think it is a true statement...or maybe it is a true metaphor for what it is to be a parent. The illustration that came to mind was one of a man, who had been given his freedom and then chose to relinquish it for the sake of love. In Exodus chapter 21, there is an option for a Hebrew, who after completing his six years of service and had freedom in the seventh year to continue as a slave in the household of his Master. The man was taken to the door post and had his ear pierced and he was then a slave for life.

I wonder if it is fair to say that in some sense once we have children, each child has pierced our ear and we belong to him or her for life for the sake of our love for them. I know that there are many metaphors when it comes to parenting...teacher, mentor, guide, but they tend to flatter the parent. If we consider ourselves as a slave...would it change how we felt about meeting their needs and even their demands?

I am sure that we have all seen parents who were little more than a slave to their child. In fact, I met one mom who regularly made alternate meals for one of her children, and another who made a buffet for breakfast every morning in hopes that her son would eat something before school. But if we step back and look at the longterm good of the child, one day will the child actually be thankful for that kind of parenting?

I actually think that in some ways we are slaves, who have more knowledge than those we serve. So our goals need to revolve around more than meeting immediate desires. Our goal needs to be to cultivate good character at every point so that the child will grow in understanding. But on those days when we are tired or in the middle of the night when we are asleep and children call if we take the mindset of a slave would in be easier?

I am not sure if I know the answer, but I was just thinking of this from Luke 17:
"Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do?

So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' "


One of the most challenging things about parenting is the constant call. There is no rest, once you are a parent, you are a parent, no vacation or holiday removes the responsibility of the role. If we can say that we are only doing our duty maybe we won't miss the gratitude that normally comes when we serve. Isn't that the one of the principles of service? It's about serving without expectation, serving because it's what we are called to do.

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Paula T said...

That is such a good reminder for me! For I often get annoyed at having to serve my kids, and I get tired and whiney...but that scripture really puts it into perspective. And I even thought at length about what I was getting mwelf into before I became a parent!!! Good thoughts Mar!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Marla,

I keep meaning to post that I really appreciated this but never actually have. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home