Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Quotes from my Husband

So, I was reading over B's shoulder as he typed an email or two last night...I was reading with permission. I usually avoid reading over his shoulder because he finds it annoying which I totally understand.

So, I was reading as he slipped into the language of academia...fantastic... I thought I'd share a few quotes and hope that you are as entertained as I was.

Or is that, again, our Aristotelian minds looking for taxonomies to file things under?

I know it was all the rage earlier last century but that was, as I understand it, more of a death-throes-of-modernity Hegelian/Whitehead version. Some of the Orthodox theologians have returned with a vengeance proposing their Cappadocian Patristic versions of it, giving their concepts ridiculous titles.

His version of the Shakyamuni somehow embodies the whole Mahayana process of transferring Buddhist soteriological focus off of the Dharma and onto the person of the Buddha.

I love reading his academic language because it presents such a challenge to my brain to distill the essence of what he is saying into 'real world' English.

So, that leads me to the thought that I am not really suited to that kind of academic world. It might be that I am not suited to that sort of academic realm. B, on the other hand, loves that world...he loves the studying, research and dialogue that comes with that territory. Now, he has just begun corresponding with people looking for a Doctorate program, so he dusted off his old vocabulary and is putting it to use. I remember reading some of his essays while he was working on his Masters. It really did get to the point that I could read it through and still not really know what was being said... All that said if anyone knows of a University with a reputable Religious Studies Graduate Program, do let us know. That will be our next port of call after our year or so in TBay.
P.S. These are photos from B's grad last March...it's a rented robe so we don't have it anymore. However, he does have his student robes...did you know that he had to write his exams sub fusc, wearing a suit and robe (sub fusc is the term for wearing your suit and robe)?

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Erin Rebecca said...

Emma and me were just looking at your latest post when her face changed and she said the following..."he looks nice" "click on it and make it bigger" "yes, he looks nice" (with her eyes batting now) "he looks HANDSOME" "does he believe in Him?" (i respond yes) "good, does he tell others about Him?" (yes) "good, well i think he is nice and he IS handsome" "and I like his outfit, makes him look really handsome"

She always says she doesn't want to get married when she is older, but I think she will:) I had to tell her that Brain (oops i mean Brian) is already taken.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Paula T said...

he looks so smart and scholarly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home