Thursday, April 26, 2007

Then and Now

So...my dear friend invited me to join Facebook...so I did. I didn't really know anything about it and I must admit to finding it curiously addictive. One thing that I did not expect was finding high school classmates on it. Actually, I didn't really think about classmates finding me. The friend from Junior High, who found me, was such a surprise...I had been trying to reconnect with her without success for a while. Then there was a guy, whose name I did not recognize...weird...upon seeing his photo I placed him, but had seriously not seen or heard of him in over 15 years.

But that has led me to introspection about who I was then and who I am now. I know that I am more me now then I was then, but I wonder what I would think upon meeting myself then... I think I am self aware enough to say I was more abrasive then, more sarcastic and more aggressive... but I was also less confident of my own identity and I know that I hid from myself as much as I hid from those around me.

I can say that I am honestly thankful that some of my edges have been worn away. There are things I like about myself much more now...like the fact that I am less defensive and need less approval from the world around me. But it all makes me think that if I were to meet up with people who knew me then, would they recognize me, would the teenage me inhibit relationship with the 30-something me, would I find that despite what I have gained from the years since high school I have also lost part of me.

I suppose part of my thoughts are spurred on by the knowledge of returning to Thunder Bay and wondering what it will be like. There is a part of me that finds comfort in knowing that I am known, particularly by the ALL-KNOWING ONE. But also part of me that is sad to have many of my friendships split in segments of my life. In some ways I think it make me a bit of a fractured person...there is so much comfort in not having to explain myself...

At the same time I am so thankful to have a partner to journey with...since the end is not in sight. I wonder what my 40-something self will think of my 30-something self...

P.S. Thanks to Doug for his thoughts on being Canadian...I think he is accurate in defining a Canada as a country of observers...and a people who are satisfied in learning but not always doing. In fact that defines a lot about me...learning but not doing...

2 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger The Martins Home said...

Been getting many invitations to join facebook. NOt sure how I will like it but finally signed on.
Kathleen

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I have also thought many times about what the teenage me would think about the late 20s me. It's interesting to consider how much of who we were we still are and how much of who we are is different than who we once were. WOW, did that make any sense? Usually when I consider this is when I am discouraged with where I am at spiritually right now and think that the teenage me, was much more spiritually passionate than the current me and would be somewhat judgemental of where I'm at right now. Hmmm. . . I wonder. I guess what really matters is what my Father thinks of the current me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home