Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bowling, Bangles, and sore Bottoms.

I started a post earlier today and the electricity cut out long enough for me to lose it...ah, well...

I thought I'd share the last few days, but I am thinking on new things right now. We'll just have to see where this stream takes me...and us as a consequence.

My big accomplishment this weekend was that I learned how to bowl. I have never played Cricket and found myself in the midst of a game for the ladies this weekend. The ball was tossed my way and I had to learn how to bowl. So in my best mimic I tried and was... not necessarily successful, but able to bowl adequately. Thinking back now, I notice that I have tended to stay away from sports that involve bats or racquets. I did play badminton for a short time in High School, but was terribly unsuccessful and henceforth stayed with the sports I could perform reasonably at. Needless to say I wasn't too disappointed to have the game called short...I missed my chance at bat...and then we all sat for a late lunch.

Yesterday we went for a quick wander in the Bazaar...I needed a second shot of penicillin to make sure the infection I had was truly gone. For those of you who have not had the misfortune of needing penicillin injections, count yourselves lucky. The hurt going in...the whole time you are getting the shot you can feel the ache...and they have to give it slowly which only prolongs the agony...and it is administered in the bottom. And today I have an achy bottom; of course the pain is tempered by the knowledge that my immune system is adequately bolstered against any further attacks.

But to ease pain we browsed in a few shops. The girls had cold coffee and muffins. And M was desperately trying to secretly buy me a Mother's Day gift. I took the hint and strolled up and down until she could buy the desired item and stow it. In my meandering I found a fantastic bangle...I searched until I found a matching one and walked along with great delight at my new found treasure. The best things about these bangles are: they are fat, made with Mother of Pearl and fasten a bit like shackles. I am sad to not be able to show you however our camera is still refusing to cooperate. And M was not disappointed so I am guessing that she did not buy me new bangles.

And last but not least, I found a fun blog The Seven Things Project In an attempt to simplify, Earthchick has given herself a year to get rid of seven things each week. I was so encouraged to read about someone else's journey through the bits and pieces that hang around a life. I realized in this process sorting stuff for the move that I form memories attached to certain things. It might be a dress that each girls wore and when I look at it I have a memory snap shot of each one. Or a single sock that hasn't had it's pair in years, but I remember who gave it to which girl. Or a scrap of paper with a hand print on it...or any number of things that have long since ceased to be useful. I think I have been afraid to lose these things that trigger pictures in my mind. At the same time, I am working out how to store those memories without needing to keep the stuff. I do want to simplify not for the sake of having less, but for the purpose of having a life more full of relationship and hearts full of gratitude.

1 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Paula T said...

I was babysitting for a friend last night and I noticed ohw little "stuff" they had. The more I walked around their house, the more I became convicted - and I don't necessarily have a lot of stuff! But I seemed to have more then them, and I thought of how I'll need to scale ba. But how does one get rid of stuff? I'm good at clearing things out - every year we have a garage sale and I discard things I haven't used in the past 6 months, but some things i just like to keep! Oh well, I'll be splitting up all our possessions really soon so I guess that will help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home